Group Marks World Work Safety Day With Injury Prevention Reminders
Employers across the globe recently celebrated World Day for Safety and Health at Work. To mark the international occasion, experts at DuPont Safety Resources offered these reminders to help businesses prevent injuries.
To mark the international occasion, experts at DuPont Safety Resources offered these reminders to help businesses prevent injuries.
- Be aware. Employees who are aware of their surroundings can watch for potential hazards and prevent injuries. Distractions cause accidents.
- Think it through. Before starting a task, remind employees to take a couple of minutes to think through what they're about to do. Do they know the correct procedures, the equipment required, and the potential hazards?
- Be proactive. Employees should be encouraged to address unsafe actions and conditions when they see them. They should not be afraid to speak up when they see something unsafe.
- Use the right tool for the right job. The proper tools and equipment will help employees avoid hazards and prevent risks.
- Don't take shortcuts. Employees must follow procedures for safe work. It may take a little extra time, but shortcuts put you at risk. Remind employees not to cut corners and bypass important safeguards and safety practices.
- Stay in shape. Keeping core muscles in shape -- whether the employee has a desk or physical job -- is important in preventing injuries. Core muscle strength helps maintain balance, flexibility and strength. Remind employees to take a few moments to stretch, make sure they know the limitations of their bodies, and always maintain good posture.
July 9, 2009
Copyright 2009© LRP Publications