Eliminate rewards for unwanted behaviors to reduce liens
California workers' comp advisors say the excessive number of liens show where the workers' comp system should be improved.
In a draft report, the Commission on Health & Safety and Workers' Compensation made a number of recommendations, including:
- Consider reinstating a $100 filing fee to discourage frivolous claims.
- Adopt explicit fee schedules where gaps or ambiguities foster frequent disputes.
- Establish an administrative system for fee schedule dispute resolution with limited judicial review.
- Adjudicate medical treatment authorization disputes expeditiously.
- Amend existing statute and regulation to effectively deter premature lien filings.
- Require lien filers to accurately identify themselves and their relationship to the original owner of the alleged debt and to provide documentation of that relationship upon demand.
- Require accurate representations of facts in claims filed for liens.
February 7, 2011
Copyright 2011© LRP Publications