Congress passes SMART Act
Legislation passed by Congress will "help the Medicare process. It gives us a little more structure with regard to Medicare payments," said James Pocius, a shareholder with Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin in Philadelphia.
Pocius said H.R. 1845, the Strengthening Medicare and Repaying Taxpayers Act, will:
- Provide more certainty regarding conditional payments so participants know the amount before settling.
- Provide a more structured appeals process.
- Require the government to establish a yearly threshold, thereby ensuring Medicare will not collect money on cases in which its cost to collect exceeds the amount.
- Firm up language regarding the statute of limitations for Medicare to seek additional monies.
- Clarify language as to when a payer can be fined for failing to report information to Medicare.
February 11, 2013
Copyright 2013© LRP Publications