Think about these questions before a catastrophe blows your way:
- Who are the key members of the response team, both internally and externally?
- If the company relies on an insurer or third-party provider for medical case management, what procedures does the provider have in place?
- How are these external resources integrated with occupational health, safety and security personnel?
- Are there other people such as vocational and rehabilitation professionals who can be brought into the overall case management plan?
- Does the plan include both a medical and vocational focus? While the first concern is on the medical stability of the injured employee, the vocational component of returning the employee to work cannot be overlooked.
- Is there an active return to work program at the company that can ease the transition to work for ill and injured employees? Return to work programs, including a task bank, are helpful in routine workers' comp cases, as well as to help severely injured employees as they return to the workplace.
May 1, 2005
Copyright 2005© LRP Publications